Sure, the Variety Bash is a fun drive, with a bunch of great people, but the reason for it all is for the kids who need a bit more help to live, laugh and learn.
Tricycle gift in Blackall, Qld
Every month Variety Australia distributes $1 million in benefits to children, for things such as special wheelchairs and play equipment, prosthetic limbs, Sunshine coaches to help kids with special needs get out in the sun, to children’s hospitals and so on. The money raised through the Variety Bash helps make all of that happen.
Angels after crossing the Pentecost River
The Angels in Car 999A invite you to help these kids by donating online(it’s tax deductible, too!)
The last year has flown by, and the Angels are about to head off in one month on the 2012 NSW Variety Bash, from Balmain, NSW, to Bamaga, at the very tip of Cape York in Queensland.
Well over 100 cars have raised funds (a minimum of $8,500 for each car) for Variety, the Children’s Charity, and we’re just making last-minute adjustments to our cars in readiness for the trip.
Here’s where we’re going:
- Day 1: Aug 19: Starting in Balmain, going to Narrabrivia Merriwa.
- Day 2: Aug 20: via Mungindi to Goondiwindi, Qld.
- Day 3: Aug 21: via Surat to Roma.
- Day 4: Aug 22: via Arcadia Valley to Emerald.
- Day 5: Aug 23: to Charters Towers.
- Day 6: Aug 24: to Cairns.
- Day 7: Aug 25: going to Kurandafor the day, then back to Cairns.
- Day 8: Aug 26: via Laura to Archer River Roadhouse(camping out there).
- Day 9: Aug 27: via Bramwell Station to Bamaga.
- Day 10: Aug 28: going over to Thursday Island for the day, then back to Bamaga.
For more details see the Route on the web site.
While the drive is fun, the reason we go on the Bash is FOR THE KIDS! Last year’s Bash raised $1.863 million for Variety, the Children’s Charity, with that money going to things such as:
- Sunshine Coaches, to help schools and support organizations help kids who have previously not been able to get “out and about” in their community.
- Liberty Swings, giving children in wheelchairs the chance to swing and laugh.
- Wheelchairsfor special needs children.
- Equipment such as iPads and computers to help transform the education of kids with special needs, such as autism.
- Specialized medical equipment and services for children’s health services including hospitals.
Won’t you help us help the kids by donating online? It’s tax deductible (in Australia).
Variety, the Children’s Charity, in NSW, Australia, has just had their AGM, releasing these statistics for the year 2011:
As another year wraps up we must say a big thank you to all Variety’s supporters! We have had a busy year with some fantastic events, partnerships and volunteer support which allowed us to grant $2.24 Million on appeals in 2011 and enrich the lives of over 18,000 children.
With thanks to your support we have been able to achieve big things this year…
- Over $2.1M used to purchase 38 Sunshine Coaches for schools and support organisations, bringing sunshine into the lives of many children who through either disadvantaged circumstances or health issues would have previously not been able to get “out and about” in their community.
- 34 Walkers and Standers given to help children get out of their wheelchairs, to interact with siblings and friends, take part in fun activities and learn to move about.
- $253,029 used to purchase 46 Wheelchairs for special needs children across Australia.
- $519,671 spent on Liberty Swings now installed in 20 more locations across Australia, giving children in wheelchairs the chance to swing and laugh.
- Over 1,200 Bikes given to children across Australia – the joy of your first bike… priceless!
and so much more… THANK YOU!
Any donation, big or small, helps toward these wonderful kids. You can donate online.