Sure, the Variety Bash is a fun drive, with a bunch of great people, but the reason for it all is for the kids who need a bit more help to live, laugh and learn.
Tricycle gift in Blackall, Qld
Every month Variety Australia distributes $1 million in benefits to children, for things such as special wheelchairs and play equipment, prosthetic limbs, Sunshine coaches to help kids with special needs get out in the sun, to children’s hospitals and so on. The money raised through the Variety Bash helps make all of that happen.
Angels after crossing the Pentecost River
The Angels in Car 999A invite you to help these kids by donating online(it’s tax deductible, too!)
Here’s a mashup of some video clips and photos of the Angels in Car 999A on the 2011 NSW Variety Bash:
The Bash went from Baulkham Hills, NSW, to Broome, WA, from August 6 to 17, 2011. (Some of the clips and photos come from Zoom Productions, and some are ours.)
There’s fun along the way, but the purpose of the trip is to raise funds for Variety, the Children’s Charity, to help children who are sick, disadvantaged or have special needs to live, laugh and learn.
Not long until we head off on the Bash again.
Help us help those kids by donating to Variety, the Children’s Charity.
Variety, the Children’s Charity, in NSW, Australia, has just had their AGM, releasing these statistics for the year 2011:
As another year wraps up we must say a big thank you to all Variety’s supporters! We have had a busy year with some fantastic events, partnerships and volunteer support which allowed us to grant $2.24 Million on appeals in 2011 and enrich the lives of over 18,000 children.
With thanks to your support we have been able to achieve big things this year…
- Over $2.1M used to purchase 38 Sunshine Coaches for schools and support organisations, bringing sunshine into the lives of many children who through either disadvantaged circumstances or health issues would have previously not been able to get “out and about” in their community.
- 34 Walkers and Standers given to help children get out of their wheelchairs, to interact with siblings and friends, take part in fun activities and learn to move about.
- $253,029 used to purchase 46 Wheelchairs for special needs children across Australia.
- $519,671 spent on Liberty Swings now installed in 20 more locations across Australia, giving children in wheelchairs the chance to swing and laugh.
- Over 1,200 Bikes given to children across Australia – the joy of your first bike… priceless!
and so much more… THANK YOU!
Any donation, big or small, helps toward these wonderful kids. You can donate online.
Following is a press release from Jack Cannons AM, Chairman Variety International Sunshine Coaches:
Variety the Children’s Charity International Sunshine Coach Program continues to get the kids out into the sunshine with a total of 159 Sunshine Coaches presented around the world in 2010.
Tents (Tents are the Variety organisational area term for geographical areas, coming from Variety’s history in the entertainment/circus industry) are asked to provide the number of seats in each coach as well as the number of coach’s presented. The reason for this; different regions have different size coaches, ranging from 6 seat Sunshine Coaches to 29 seat Sunshine Coaches. When we collate the number of seats made available in the 159 Sunshine Coaches presented in 2010 it tells a powerful story about the work of Variety around the world
- 2,335 new Variety Sunshine Coaches seats were made available every day (through the 159 Sunshine Coaches presented in 2010 alone) to provide sunshine to the lives of Special Needs Children
- If each of the 2010 presented Sunshine Coaches are used 5 times a week the number of seats available each week is 11,675.
- If we multiply the number of seats available each week over the period of one year it shows that 607,100 seats were made available for kids to travel in through these 159 SS Coaches
We continue to use a spread sheet to decide the 3 equal winners of the VI Sunshine Coach Awards from information from the VI Tent Reports. This formula introduced 3 years ago provides a transparent opportunity for all the Tents who are part of the Sunshine Coach Programme to be eligible for an award and is not based on numbers alone.
- Category #1. Largest growth in number of Coaches presented in current year.
- Category #2. Greatest number of Coaches presented in the past 4 years.
- Category #3. The Tent that demonstrates the most significant commitment to the programme taking into account the size and operational challenges of the Tent.
The following 15 Variety Tents have presented Sunshine Coaches during 2010.
- Tent 4 St Louis. 1 SS Coaches total 12 seats
- Tent 7 Buffalo & Western New York. 1 SS Coach total 15 seats
- Tent 15 Iowa. 10 SS Coaches total 106 seats
- Tent 17 Texas. 1 SS Coach total 18 seats
- Tent 36 Great Britain. 101 SS Coaches total 1414 seats
- Tent 39 Southern Nevada 1 SS Coach total 12 seats
- Tent 47 British Columbia. 4 SS Coaches total 69 seats
- Tent 52 Jersey 2 SS Coach total 32 seats
- Tent 56 New South Wales. 11 SS Coaches total 247 seats
- Tent 68 New Zealand. 1 SS Coaches total 12 seats
- Tent 74 Western Australia. 6 SS Coaches total 112 seats
- Tent 75 South Australia. 11 SS Coaches total 180 seats
- Tent 76 Queensland. 3 SS Coaches total 36 seats
- Tent 77 Victoria. 3 SS Coaches total 36 seats
- Tent 82 Tasmania 3 SS Coach total 32 seats
A total of $7,141,199.40 was invested internationally by the 15 Tents in the 2010 Sunshine Coach Program. Congratulations are in order to all Tents who have provided Sunshine Coaches for their special needs kids.
A special mention to Tent 52 Jersey who almost won the Category #3 Award.
A Huge Congratulations to Tent 36 who this year presented their 5000th Sunshine Coach as part of their 101 presented Sunshine Coaches for the year.
The 3 Variety International Sunshine Coach Award Recipients for 2010:
- Category #1 Tent 56 New South Wales
- Category #2 Tent 15 Iowa
- Category #3 Tent 82 Northern Territory
Please note these are equal awards not 1st 2nd 3rd.
Variety NSW has set up a Facebook page to keep followers up to date on all things Variety, share stories of children who we have been able to help, send event invitations, post photos and more.
Please go to the Variety NSW page and click on the Like button to keep in touch with Variety NSW on Facebook
To aid Manly Centre Management and Variety Children’s Charity, Layne Beachley, seven times world surfing champion, has offered to give a private surf lesson. Put in your bid for that, with 27 more prizes included in the “Manly Experience” prize package!
The 2009 Bennelong to Broken Hill Bash raised over $1.9M raised for sick, special needs and disadvantaged kids. See some photos here:
2009VarietyBash from ZOOM Productions on Vimeo.
Click “Like” on the Variety NSW Facebook page for a chance to win tickets for two to the Variety of Chefs event. That is one of THE Variety NSW events to go to, on May 11 this year, in the Grand Ballroon of the Sydney Hilton. Served at the event will be a 4-course degustation menu, prepared by:
- Sean Connolly from My Family Feast (SBS)
- Darren Simpson from La Scala on Jersey
- Jared Ingersoll from Danks St Depot
- Peter Kuruvita from Flying Fish
VIP guest judges, and some culinary games will add to the fun for the evening.
Together with the Narrabeen Surf Life Saving Club, Variety NSW has given 50 kids plus fellow community members from Brewarrina a beach weekend. After weeks of 50C temperatures and floods, the visit provided the opportunity for fun, to allow kids to be kids.
They kids were given surf lessons, a visit to the Opera House, celebrity visits, gifts and more.
Read more in the SMH article or at the Variety NSW Facebook page.