The last year has flown by, and the Angels are about to head off in one month on the 2012 NSW Variety Bash, from Balmain, NSW, to Bamaga, at the very tip of Cape York in Queensland.
Well over 100 cars have raised funds (a minimum of $8,500 for each car) for Variety, the Children’s Charity, and we’re just making last-minute adjustments to our cars in readiness for the trip.
Here’s where we’re going:
- Day 1: Aug 19: Starting in Balmain, going to Narrabrivia Merriwa.
- Day 2: Aug 20: via Mungindi to Goondiwindi, Qld.
- Day 3: Aug 21: via Surat to Roma.
- Day 4: Aug 22: via Arcadia Valley to Emerald.
- Day 5: Aug 23: to Charters Towers.
- Day 6: Aug 24: to Cairns.
- Day 7: Aug 25: going to Kurandafor the day, then back to Cairns.
- Day 8: Aug 26: via Laura to Archer River Roadhouse(camping out there).
- Day 9: Aug 27: via Bramwell Station to Bamaga.
- Day 10: Aug 28: going over to Thursday Island for the day, then back to Bamaga.
For more details see the Route on the web site.
While the drive is fun, the reason we go on the Bash is FOR THE KIDS! Last year’s Bash raised $1.863 million for Variety, the Children’s Charity, with that money going to things such as:
- Sunshine Coaches, to help schools and support organizations help kids who have previously not been able to get “out and about” in their community.
- Liberty Swings, giving children in wheelchairs the chance to swing and laugh.
- Wheelchairsfor special needs children.
- Equipment such as iPads and computers to help transform the education of kids with special needs, such as autism.
- Specialized medical equipment and services for children’s health services including hospitals.
Won’t you help us help the kids by donating online? It’s tax deductible (in Australia).
Here’s a mashup of some video clips and photos of the Angels in Car 999A on the 2011 NSW Variety Bash:
The Bash went from Baulkham Hills, NSW, to Broome, WA, from August 6 to 17, 2011. (Some of the clips and photos come from Zoom Productions, and some are ours.)
There’s fun along the way, but the purpose of the trip is to raise funds for Variety, the Children’s Charity, to help children who are sick, disadvantaged or have special needs to live, laugh and learn.
Not long until we head off on the Bash again.
Help us help those kids by donating to Variety, the Children’s Charity.
On Saturday, April 9, the Angels, Car 999A, spent the day at the Camden Show, along with other Bash cars. The Camden Show had organized a collection of vehicles “across the ages”, including cars and farm vehicles. The Bash cars were there because they are all pre-1974 vehicles, and it was a good excuse to get out and meet people and tell people all about Variety. The K9 crew had organized a bunch of giveaways for kids, which was fun to give out during the day.
Car 999A - The Angels' car
About 3:30pm the vehicles all lined up for a Grand Parade around the main arena. Following that, Governor-General Quentin Bryce officially opened the Show.
Angel Ian has been busy getting the car ready for the Bash start in August.
Giving out freebies to kids
A fun day to be out and about. Perfect weather-wise, warm, clear, blue skies, and we got to meet lots of people.
Welcome to the blog for the Angels, in Bash car 999A, with the NSW Variety, the Children’s Charity Bash. We’ll be logging our adventures here. Enjoy!